Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 3



Church and football put a dent in the time I had available today. But, I needed to make good use of having Dave to help. So, we took down the big mirror. We're hoping to repurpose it by cutting it into two smaller mirrors and building frames around them. Of course, when we pulled the mirror off the wall, we found a chunk of drywall missing with exposed pipes. Not really sure what that was for and not really looking forward to yet another drywall patch to do.

Then, we began to tackle the vanity. I'm pretty sure every plumber that I have ever had here has been on the stereotypically large size. Every time I do plumbing work, though, I wonder how they manage. Fitting inside the small door of the vanity on my back reaching up between pipes and the sink to get to the tiny nuts holding on the faucet is quite a challenge. How a fat person does it is really baffling to me.

We had hoped to donate the vanity cabinets and the top to Habitat for Humanity's ReStore, but Dave and I had a very difficult time getting the top off. The glue was holding tight and the double vanity top was pretty heavy. In the end, we decided that we would need to call in reinforcements, so we smashed it. Unfortunately, Dave tackled that when I wasn't up there with camera in hand. It made quite a loud crash from where I was a floor below.

It would be so nice if I could just pull out the cabinets and put them outside to be picked up. But, no, I'm going to need to disconnect the water so I can remove the shut-off valves, move the vanities and them reinstall the shut-off valves. It all seems so simple in theory, but each step takes longer than expected. But, I should be able to get that done tomorrow and probably get the toilet out as well.


So, I'm hoping that tomorrow we will have an empty bathroom. Fingers crossed - don't hold me to it, though, because I've also got to volunteer in class, get the kids from school, help with homework, cook dinner, etc. Hopefully, I can talk one of the kids into helping me with the plumbing tomorrow. I like teaching the skills that I've learned so that one day, my kids will feel comfortable to tackle these projects themselves if they so desire.




1 comment:

Carol said...

Love to renovate vicariously if I cannot do it in person. Proud of you. Have fun!