Friday, May 7, 2010

8 years ago today...



My little Alex was born after way too long a labor. Dave was very glad that Alex was a boy because he really wanted a son and wanted to pressure removed early. Little did we know that making boys was not a problem for us!

Alex is a personality of extremes. When he's excited about something, he is really into it and will push himself, work hard and get a lot out of th
e experience. He loves football and is always looking for an opportunity to play. He has done quite well in his flag football season, and it's been fun watching him play.


Another example is his running. He is just fast (like Dave) and determined. Yesterday the kids ran the Race for Education at school. They run around a 1/4 mile lap as many times as they can in 1 hour. My goal was to run with him. Dave encouraged me with, "You're going to get your butt kicked." Well, he was right. I couldn't even keep up with his speed and then his endurance proved to strong for me, too. He was shooting for 20 laps (5 miles), but he just couldn't quite get it in time and got cut off at 19. But, he was pushing hard at the end. I noticed at the end that he had blood running all down his leg. Apparently he had fallen and skinned his knee, but it didn't stop him at all. (In a side note, Rachel and Zack did super well too. I was so impressed by all 3 of the kids. They were determined and pushed themselves beyond what many of the other kids did.)

In contrast with this positive side of Alex, if he isn't into something, it is like pulling teeth. He just stands his ground and fights it every step of the way. It can be infuriating, but I think it will help him stand true to his morals as he gets older. And, that makes me feel good as a mother.

I love my little man. I cannot believe how fast he is growing up.

No comments: