Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our new addition - coming soon!

For Rachel's birthday, I decided to let her get a pet. She wants one badly, and I think she is old enough to handle the responsibility of taking care of one. I debated about a guinea pig, puppy or a kitten. I decided that I should get something that I want because I'm sure the appeal will wear off, and I'll be stuck somewhat with the burden. Therefore, I decided on a kitten. I knew someone that had had kittens, so we are waiting for them to get old enough to come home with us. Rachel is very unhappy that she has to wait, but she did pick out the one that she wants. She chose him/her (can't tell yet) based on the fact that she whined the most - great decision making! She hasn't decided on a name, although I'm trying to convince her of Wahoo, but we'll see.






In different news, Rachel got some reading glasses. She's kind of a mess right now. She failed her vision and hearing screening at school. She struggles to read the board. I took her to the Target optical place, but he did not recommend glasses. I was so surprised and unhappy with the results because she seemed to be struggling to read the lines. I actually printed an eye chart of the internet. She could not read accurately the 20/60 line even though the rest of us, including Alex, could read below the 20/20. So, I took her to another place. Same result - she told me that she's actually reading at 20/20, even though she misses some of them and seems to be having trouble. I still don't get it, but I felt like she knew what she was talking about and I trusted her explanations. But, she said that her vision up close is a little on the edge and maybe that was causing her to have trouble adjusting between far and near, especially when her eyes are tired. I don't know, but Rachel was excited to get these glasses, so we'll try.



Her hearing, on the other hand, was proven to be worse than we thought. The audiologist claims that her hearing is worse than if you had the best earplugs you can buy. Now, I feel bad for getting so upset at her for not listening. Apparently, she is completely plugged up behind her eardrum (nothing permanent), but that means a visit to the ENT and probably some tubes.
It's never ending with 4 kids - someone always needs something!

2 comments:

Alice said...

So, I suspected you were a little crazy when you volunteered to be cookie mom....now, I know it's true...another four legged Kreitzer?
Tell Rachel we vote for "Wahoo". Very cool. That would be one smart cat. We will look forward to meeting Wahoo or Fluffy or Jasmine (definitely what our kids would name her). And one piece of advice--get the cute little clawing furball declawed before you bring her home! (we only did half the job and after dear Benny had clawed up our leather ottoman and chair, we went back and removed his back claws too) I miss Benny :(

Martina said...

She looks adorable!!

Name that kitty Abbott. That was Ashley's first kitty's name. Of course it was a boy. We used to say "Abbott the rabbit is a funny bunny" - kinda appropriate considering Easter is right around the corner!

Give her a hug from all of us!