Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Day Dave got a Spanking!

We headed out of the park a different way to make sure we saw as much of the park as possible. We stumbled upon a beautiful waterfall. This was the upper portion of Cascade Falls, which we had seen the day before.


We started out on a makeshift path along the side of the river to see what we could see. The path divided. Rachel and Dave went on one path, hoping to catch up with me and the boys. Our path reached a difficult place to pass, so the boys were climbing on rocks.


Zack was determined to get around the path and headed up a steep path. But, then he was crying out to me. I couldn’t tell what he was saying, but I could not leave Alex and Matthew at the river’s edge. I was getting stressed out because the boys were making me nervous and Dave was nowhere to be found. I told the kids that Daddy was misbehaving. One of them asked me if he was going to get a spanking, and I decided that was a good idea. We decided to head back and take the path that they took. This was a steep path up the mountain on slippery brush. The kids would take a step and slide down a little. We went up awhile, but it was getting treacherous for us and I still had no sign of Dave. I was frustrated with him that he had gone this far without realizing that he was not going to reach us and turned around. I was really getting worried that either he or Rachel had gotten hurt or they were lost. The kids asked if Daddy would get a spanking if he were hurt, and I said that he would not if he were injured. So, Matthew began hoping that Dave was hurt, so that he would not get a spanking. I didn’t really understand his reasoning. But, we decided to head down the mountain and wait for him. It was awhile before he finally showed up. I did give him a couple spankings, which cracked the kids up. Apparently, he and Rachel had gotten into a tight spot and done some risky rock climbing. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.


Going up proved not to get us a better view of the falls, so we headed downward. We actually got to a place where two rivers merged before heading off the cliff. It was pretty scary there, but it was beautiful . These falls are neat because they go down to just a trickle later in the year. It’s pretty hard to believe given the amount of water that it pouring down it now.

No comments: