Monday, October 26, 2009

My new hobby

I'm creating a flower bed all around our deck using the lasagna method. Basically, you just create your own compost with layer upon layer of yard waste. As it sits through the winter, it breaks down to kill the grass and provide soil perfect for planting. I hope it works because it is taking up a lot of time. The problem is...the space is enormous, and I don't have enough yard waste from just our own yard work. I've tried to put the word out that I need yard waste, but in the end, I have had to resort to dumpster diving, of sorts. I head out on the night before trash day to see what I can find. I load up the car with bags of leaves or cut grass. I try to go in the dark to avoid being seen going through people's garbage, but occasionally I get noticed - no questions yet. Last night, I hit the motherload, so I filled the car to capacity with all this "trash". I'm hoping that I am now done.

4 comments:

-goofydaddy said...

nice hobby! I think it would be real fun to dig through people's trash during the day. it's not illegal, you know, and you'd get some funny reactions!

Alice said...

That's awesome. I've been known to cart off other people's trash as well--though I've never carted off dead leaves and grass. I can't wait to see the results! Maybe you can put up Flat Alex as a kind of scarecrow!

Gargamella Creations said...

We too have been known to take other people's trash. My step-dad was walking our dog and found a table that just needed a minor repair. We lovingly referred to it as our garbage table and we still have it.

Mary Ann Kreitzer said...

Hey we've got plenty of yard waste. You can have all you want. Just follow dad around behind the tractor!