Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Huge Challenge

Warning Note:  This blog is going to be my primary record of the trip.  Therefore, it will be full of many details and probably boring tidbits.  This post is a prime example.  But, I want to record it all as it happens.  Read at your own risk!


Six people, six weeks, eighteen states, one car.  We've been planning this trip for a year now, thinking about all the places we intend to visit.  But, I knew that a big challenge for me was to see how I was going to get everything we needed for this trip into the car as efficiently and organized as possible.  I began making lists two months ago.  I couldn't believe how long the list was getting.  But, I tried to just separate all the things into reasonable pieces that I could organize and pack.  I have to say that it was a monumental feat that I got everything in.  After I had packed the car, I stepped back in wonder and awe at the amount of stuff I was able to get in the car and the amount of space we had left.  Now, we just need to keep it organized. 

First, the clothes.  How to pack for 6 people when the weather will vary from very hot, desert conditions to snow-covered grounds (including skiing).  I separated the clothes out into 4-5 day groups and packed two sets of suitcases for the start of the trip.  Shorts and the snow clothes, which won't be necessary for a couple weeks, were packed each into their own suitcase. 
4 days of clothes for the six of us.  The other 4-5 days are in two smaller suitcases.


We always seem to get sick on vacation.  Normally the kids are pretty healthy, but vacations seem to bring it out in us.  We brought some nasty bug with us to the beach one year, which infected all the children there and two of the adults.  It gained us the nickname, "Typhoid Kreitzers."  So, I try to bring all the medicine we might need with us.  Here's my very full medicine kit.

To minimize the suitcases we would need to take into the hotels, I packed this overnight bag.  It will go with us everywhere.  It has bathing suits (for hotel pools), toiletries, medicine, books to read at night, nightlights, and pull-ups for Matthew.



The solution that helped get the car very contained was to get these bins to line the bottom of the rear of that car.  I am using them to hold all the odds and ends of stuff that need to go on the trips.  Here he have one with all the cameras, flashlights for the cave exploring we're doing, geocaching stuff, goggles for swimming, etc.  The next one is carrying our Easter baskets and extra toiletries and medication that we'll need over the course of the 6 weeks.  The final one contains shoes and other odds and ends that we'll need.


The bins across the back of the car.  Now, I can just stack the suitcases on top of these, maximizing my space.



The other storage solution that I am using is to embrace the makeup bag.  I have found many uses for these multi-compartment, zippered bags.  I created one that had tools that we might need on our trip.  I also used them for the kids' supplies for the car.  I made one for each of the kids to store their crayons, pencils, etc.  They can keep them in their backpacks or hang them from the seat in front of them.  They are working out really well.



The kids also have organizers hanging from each of the seats.  These hold all the electronics and travel games that we have in our house.  Anything that might entertain them without the risk of losing too many pieces went into these things.  Yet, 1/2 hour in and I think we had our first complaint of boredom.



Schoolwork was another challenge.  The kids are each responsible for completing some work from school as well as working on some projects along the way.  I packed some stuff in each of their backpacks, but I wanted a folder for me to keep the required work in.  Alex is responsible for learning all the states and their capitals for a big test after we come back to school.  I am making sure that Rachel and Zack will learn that as well.  That required making study guides and practice test copies for all the regions and the complete US. I've stored these, their work, mailing supplies for sending letters to school and family in a big binder that I keep near me. 



Finally, I can put it all into the car.   The cartop carrier is holding all the stuff that we won't need for awhile.  From left to right, that includes:  Snow boots, gloves and hats and ski pants, the shorts suitcase, the winter jackets (which came down in Boston because of the cold wind), the 2 suitcases for the second half of this week, and our tennis rackets.  With a little help pushing it down, the carrier closed easily. 


This picture is deceptive because it was before the kids' backpacks or the kids got in.  It shows the new thermoelectric cooler we bought to hopefully help us eat a little healthier and cheaper along the way.  Once the kids got in with all their backpacks, it got a little more crowded looking.



Finally, the back!  I have to say that I began to question what I had forgotten in order to have so much space.  Here we have the tubs, our big suitcase, a suitcase for the 1 night in Boston, the overnight bag, the running stuff bag, and sleeping bags. 



Stay tuned for what I forgot.  I realized just miles in that I had forgotten the iPad my parents gave us for Christmas for the trip.  I am having my friend send it to us at our stop in Cincinnati.  I'm sure there will be more forgotten items, but I'm hoing they are just minor.  Time will tell.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Very cool. Funny about the make up bags--I have just started re-purposing those myself. We have so many of them. I like the way you used the hanging bags. I may need to borrow that idea though they would not stay well-organized for long in our car!
Glad you're having fun and that Alex found his jacket!! Hugs all around.

Chris said...

Is that a new car top carrier? Looks different than the one I remember with the gimpy clasp. Leaner...

You brought the Easter baskets?!?